Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fixing an Ikea Ingolf chair



 Mildly satisfying repair work. I fixed an Ikea Ingolf chair that needed spacers. Here's what the chair looks like,













Here's how the corner joint should look, with a black plastic spacer. Without it, the bolt pulls through the wood and the chair leg splays forward.














Three spacers missing from this particularly wobbly chair, and you can't get replacements easily. Although if you have a 3D printer, there are plenty of places you can get a 3D pattern to make your own.









I don't have a 3D printer, but I found a spare bit of metal bracket that I could cut to size and bend.














Here it is in place.

















For the other two, I used washers and rubber feet.











Like so...











And screwed into place.


Fingers crossed!








2 comments:

dar said...

B R A V O , Prof Peter...lateral thinking at it's finest!

Unknown said...

Thanks!! I’ve spent hours looking for this elusive part! Guess I need to try to substitute it!