Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Turkish Delight - the results!


Turkish Delight
Originally uploaded by judgecorp.
Looks good enough to eat? Well do come over and have some, then. It's a bit sickly, dripping in syrup and far too honey-flavoured. Even Kitty says it's too sweet.

So thanks, Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall (for it was his River Cottage Family Cookbook that provided the recipe)!

Apparently, since the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe came out, sales of Fry's Turkish Delight have gone up by 200 percent (didn't people notice, it's the Witch - the baddy who gives Edmund the Turkish delight?).

I also found out that I am the only one in my family who hums "Fry's Turkish Delight" to one of the tunes in Lord of the Rings. As far as I can remember, one of the main tunes from the films comes straight from the Turkish Delight adverts. Not the recent ones, but the ones from the 1970s.

I can't find that tune on the Web, but I know it's the same, and I remember the ads. The sweets were Full of Eastern Promise, and the ads were full of slave girls. And a giant eunuch bringing a sword... to slice open a piece of Turkish delight.

No comments: